Parents, Daylight Savings Time is just around the corner (2:00AM on March 10th) and if you already do not have your ninja skills ready here are some helpful tips:
- If possible, start preparing two weeks in advance. Try putting your kid(s) to bed earlier in 15-minute increments. You can also begin waking them up in this way too.
- Change the clocks first thing Sunday morning.
- Try to ensure that your child gets plenty of sleep in the days leading up to DST. The old saying “sleep begets sleep” still holds true. Making sure your child (and you for that matter!) are well rested may decrease the amount of cranky and overtiredness in your life… and we all need that.
- It’s important to dim the lights and turn off all electronics 30 minutes before bedtime. This is a good rule of thumb in general, but especially during the DST transition.
- Even if you do prepare, expect both you and your child to be a little more groggy, irritable and frustrated than usual. Give yourself some grace.
Let us know if you have any other tips/tricks you use during the Daylight Savings transition. How did these tips work out for you?